Dear list,

I'm trying to use the reshape package to perform a merging operation on a list of data.frames as illustrated below,

a <- 1:10
example <- list( data.frame(a=a, b=sin(a)), data.frame(a=a, b=cos(a)) )

melt(example, id = a)

this produces the desired result, where the data.frames have been coerced into one with a common identifier variable "a". However, it seems that if "a" is of mode numeric it is not recognized as an id variable,

a <- as.numeric(1:10)

example <- list(data.frame(a=a, b=sin(a)), data.frame(a=a, b=cos(a)))

melt(example, id = a) # this does not use a as an id variable

I'm very new to the reshape package, any pointer would be greatly appreciated. I first tried several combinations of merge, do.call, sapply,... but without success.

Many thanks,

baptiste

Baptiste AuguiƩ

School of Physics