Avi and Jeff,

Thank you very much for your answers. I did not think I would get such
an interessing answer when I asked my question.

In fact, I discovered recently the list comprehension reading some
python code and I was seduced but the compact notation so I decided to
do an exercice on an example.

Now I know why the use of the comprehenr use is slow (cf. avi answer)
and I was impressed by the jeff’s function which uses the vertorization.

Unit: milliseconds
expr min lq mean median
S_diff2 <- dloop(N1, M2, ratio_sampling, vec1, vec2) 205.0905 212.86080
226.80683 221.3820
S_diff3 <- vloop(N1, M2, ratio_sampling, vec1, vec2) 49.8971 57.05555
64.25502 58.9455
uq max neval cld
227.57695 297.9974 20 a
63.15645 113.4106 20 b

I did not have the idea to transform the second loop with a vectorize
approach.

Hence, the good direction is to think more in terms of vectorization.

I will search for some exercices on the web.