It's sorta-kinda-obliquely-partially documented in the examples:

zapsmall(cP <- contr.poly(3)) # Linear and Quadratic

output:

            .L         .Q
[1,] -0.7071068  0.4082483
[2,]  0.0000000 -0.8164966
[3,]  0.7071068  0.4082483

FWIW the faux package provides better-named alternatives.

On 2024-06-17 4:25 p.m., Christophe Dutang wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

It might good to document the naming convention in ?contrasts. It is hard to
understand .L for linear, .Q for quadratic, .C for cubic and ^n for other
degrees.

For contr.sum, we could have used .Sum<level1>, .Sum<level2>…

Maybe the examples ?model.matrix should use names in dd objects so that we
observe when names are dropped.

Kind regards, Christophe