From: Ivan Krylov <ikry...@disroot.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2024 1:55 AM
To: r-help@r-project.org
Cc: Priya, Aishwarya <aishwarya_pr...@dell.com>
Subject: Re: [R] Regarding the Security Vulnerability CVE 2024 - 27322

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Dear Aishwarya Priyadarshini,

Welcome to R-help! Most people here aren't affiliated with R Foundation.

В Wed, 26 Jun 2024 17:03:37 +0000
"Priya, Aishwarya via R-help" <r-help@r-project.org> пишет:

> I am reaching out to seek your guidance on addressing the security
> vulnerability CVE-2024-27322.

> To address this issue effectively, it appears that we need to first
> uninstall the existing older version before installing the latest
> version. This process should ensure that the security vulnerability is
> adequately resolved.

What's your threat model?

If you need the CVE fix purely because you are required to install it by some
sort of regulations, installing R-4.4.0 and removing all older versions of R is
definitely the right thing to do.

If you actually need to be secure against untrusted *.rds or *.rda files,
R-4.4.0 or any other version of R will be of no help to you.
There are too many ways to make an R object dangerous to use, and the *.rds and
*.rda files will faithfully represent the trapped R object even in the absence
of any vulnerabilities in the parser:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://aitap.github.io/2024/05/02/unserialize.html__;!!LpKI!hEQ5oMp6_ra80HnvSAfdgKZt9ARNgbyOd8c5YyJFuWpSxoe_KV5GJppNJH1qabGv0xeYnGuABnLkherDiCFt$
 [aitap[.]github[.]io]

If you only process *.rds and *.rda files you trust, you've never been in
danger from this so-called vulnerability. Feel free to keep running older
versions of R.

--
Best regards,
Ivan