В Wed, 3 Jul 2024 10:13:59 +0200
Troels Ring <tr...@gvdnet.dk> пишет:

> Now e looks right - but I have been unable to find out how to get the
> string e converted to the proper argument for sum()  - i.e. what  is
> function xx?

get(e) will return the value of the variable with the name stored in
the variable e.

A more idiomatic variant will require more changes:

1. Create the "adds" variable as a list, so that it could contain other
arbitrary R values:

adds <- list()

2. Instead of assigning adds1 <- something(), adds2 <-
something_else(), ..., assign to the elements of the list:

adds[[1]] <- something()
adds[[2]] <- something_else()

3. Now you can use the same syntax to access the elements of the list:

SS[i] <- sum(adds[[i]])

As a bonus, you can use the "apply" family of R functions that will
perform the loop for you: instead of SS <- c(); for (i in 1:11) SS[i]
<- sum(adds[[i]]) you can write

SS <- vapply(adds, sum, numeric(1))

...and it will perform the same loop inside it, verifying each time
that sum(adds[[i]]) returns a single number.

--
Best regards,
Ivan

P.S. I'm sorry for letting our project lapse.