On 07/08/2008 6:55 PM, Jörg Groß wrote:
Hi,

I don't understand what

hist(x, freq=FALSE)

does.

At first I thought it would be just the relative frequencies instead of the absolute frequencies,
by just computing "frequencies / n" in every category.

But with a small dataset the y-values (densities) don't sum to one.

Is there a way to get the histogram doing that?
Or what is the idea of this density-computation?

I hope the question is not too stupid...

It returns a probability density function, so the result integrates to one. If the bars are chosen at unit spacings it will sum to one.

Duncan Murdoch