On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Steven McKinney wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:00 PM
To: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: [R] Detecting duplicate values

This is another "how do I do it" type of question. It seems that for a
function that I have it has a hard time with lists that have a single
repeated value. I want a function (or expression)  that will detect
this
condition. I want to detect:

c(2,2,2,2,2)
OR
c(1)

The following is OK

c(2,3,3,2)
OR
c(1,2,1)

These lists are "OK" because they have another value in the list. In
other
words I want to detect if there is only one element in the list that
repeats 1 or more times.

Will length(table(a)) = 1 always work? If so I have answered my own
question. If not please bear with me as I have missed a case.

Consider also
length(unique(a)) == 1

Caveat:

 length(unique( c(1, NA )))
[1] 2

which may not be what Kevin wants.

Alternatives:

        length( na.omit( unique( c(1, NA ) )) ) == 1

        !isTRUE( any( a[1] != a[-1] )

HTH,

Chuck

Steve McKinney

Thank you.

Kevin

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  UC San Diego