Hello all,

I suspect my problem is not new: I am having difficulty getting an alpha
character to print in a PostScript file made by R graphics (in my legend).
At first, I figured out how to actually get the character on the screen;
however, when I saved the graphic to a PostScript file the alpha character
was replaced by "..".

Obviously, something is not working when encoding.  I've tried to change the
encoding using ps.options; however, no matter what I try R encodes the file
using ISOLatin1Encoding.  I'm not even certain that changing the encoding
type would solve my problem.  I really do not want to resort to using
another file format, as the resulting images are inferior.  Is there
something I'm missing here?

My current solution to the problem: editing the PostScript by hand.  I am no
PostScript wizard, so it is not particularly pretty.  Here is what the code
originally looks like:

/ps 12 def /Font1 findfont 12 s
0 setgray
167.68 434.79 (..=0.05) 0 0 0 t
167.68 420.39 (..=0.005) 0 0 0 t
167.68 405.99 (..=0.0005) 0 0 0 t

and here is what I've changed it to:

/ps 12 def /Font1 findfont 12 s
0 setgray
167.64 317.78 (Lower Limit,     = 0.05) 0 0 0 t
167.64 303.38 (Upper Limit,     = 0.05) 0 0 0 t
/Symbol 12 selectfont 240 303.38 moveto
/alpha glyphshow
240 317.78 moveto
/alpha glyphshow

The problem with this solution is that it is a terrible hack.  Can someone
please help me find a better solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Scott