On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Rolf Turner wrote:

On 21/08/2008, at 10:21 AM, Charles C. Berry wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Rolf Turner wrote:

> > > For reasons that are best known to myself [ ;-) ] I have a value of > .Random.seed
> saved (via dput()) in a file ``.Random.seed.save''.
> > In my .Rprofile I have the lines: > > .Random.seed <- dget(".Random.seed.save")
> Junk <- dget(".Random.seed.save")
> print(all.equal(.Random.seed,dget(".Random.seed.save")))
> print(all.equal(Junk,dget(".Random.seed.save")))
> > The two calls to all.equal() both return TRUE. > > However when I repeat the calls from the command line after the
> R session has started, I get TRUE from the second (``Junk'') call
> but
> > [1] "Mean relative difference: 0.1" > > from the first.

Not on my computer.

         Hmmmm.  Why do these always happen to ***me*** and only to me?

I get TRUE twice whether at start up, source()ing .Rprofile, or C-c C-n'ing the lines from emacs ESS.

I have to type

 load(".RData")

_after_ startup to get behavior like you describe.

Perhaps, you have something later in your .Rprofile that specifically load()'s your old .RData?

         No I haven't.  And that couldn't be the case, since ``Junk'' is
         there
         (it wasn't there in the saved image).

         So it would seem that what is happening is that the saved .RData is
         being loaded or restored
         ***after*** the commands to read in .Random.seed (and Junk) are
         issued.  The .Random.seed
         in the saved image then overwrites the .Random.seed that was just
         read in.

        But why does this happen on *my* system, and not on Chuck's???

Because I goofed by rerunning ALL the lines in .Rprofile rather than just the last two. When I run just the last two, I get the behavior you describe.

Sorry for the misdirection.

Chuck

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  UC San Diego