I have a large table of data which i can read in using read.table.
I then want to conduct various tests on the data.

Is there a simple way to conduct these tests by specifying the column headers
which relate to different conditions of the experiment?

e.g. data1 <- read.table("test.table", header=TRUE)
t.test(test~control, data = data1)

Which doesn't work and results in the error
"Error in t.test.formula(test ~ control, data = data1) :
  grouping factor must have exactly 2 levels"

Many Thanks

Richard