On 27-Aug-08 14:24:31, Charles Annis, P.E. wrote:
There are many books, but if I had to choose one that teaches R
and teaches statistics at the same time (Yes, you already know
stats, so it will be that much easier) I'd choose Peter Dalgaard's
book, Introductory Statistics with R.  It's exceptionally well
written, easy to follow, and will systematically teach you R.
It's paperback, not too expensive and available at Amazon.
Start at the front, work all the way through it and you will be
delighted with the results.

Charles Annis, P.E.

I agree about Dalgaard's book being excellent and well written.

In addition, a free resource that I found put "familiar statistics" together with the R interface quite well was John Verzani's simpleR contributed resource: (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Verzani-SimpleR.pdf ) This material subsequently was the foundation for a book. These two resources will bring you up to speed, but I doubt you'll ever be done learning because the project is so comprehensive ;-) Look at the other contributed resources for additional things that might speak to your personnal needs for a "comprehensive overview". It's an impressive collection: http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/

Rob Baer