HI,

I would like to extract the variance components estimation in lme function
like

a.fit<-lme(distance~age, data=aaa, random=~day/subject)

There should be three variances \sigma_day, \sigma_{day %in% subject } and
\sigma_e.

I can extract the \sigma_e using something like a.fit$var. However, I cannot
manage to extract the first two variance components. I can only see the
results in summary(a.fit).

I have some problem in the lme4 package and hence use the nlme package. The
example data also has some problem so I just list the function here using
some imaginary data set. Thank you.

Huang