Hello R-users,

I do not have much knowledge about generalized linear models therefore my
question maybe quite stupid.

I have data from 20 towns with their population and number of people with an
illness from those towns. I would like to use glm function in R so I
can calculate proportions of ill people (and later on produce confidence
intervals). I also want to compare those with original proportions of ill
people.

If I use:

  model1 <- glm(ill ~ offset(log(total)), family = poisson)
# ill - number of people with illness
#total - total number of people

with predict.glm I could get number of people (count data), but not the
proportions. If the obtained number I divide by 'total', I get the same
proportion for everyone. But what I want is a way of modeling proportions.
This probably requires to fit a different model but my lack of knowledge
isn't helping here.

I would appreciate any help.

Aiste