On 03/09/2008 11:00 AM, catherine workman wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to read in an Excel file that I saved as a .csv so I can analyze
my dissertation data! I am getting really frustrated because this is what I
keep getting:
In read.table(file = file, header = header, sep = sep, quote = quote,  :
  incomplete final line found by readTableHeader on 'month.csv'

can anyone offer some help? Thanks a lot! catherine

On Unix, text files (and .csv is just a structured text file) should alway have an end of line marker on every line. In Windows, many programs (including Excel, it appears) produce text files where the last line often doesn't have an end of line marker.

This message is usally a warning, not an error. On Unix it would indicate something may have gone wrong in producing the file, but on Windows it's usually not a problem -- but you should inspect the data to make sure it all got read properly.

If this was an error, then you won't have read anything. In that case you need to give us more information to go on, i.e. make your "month.csv" file (or a subset of it) available, and tell us the exact command that you ran.

Duncan Murdoch