Look at the color.legend function in the plotrix package to see if it does what
you want.  You may want to use the layout function to split the graphics device
into 2 sections, one for the persp plot and the other to hold the legend.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center