Gabor - thanks for your suggestion... I had checked the previous post, but I
found (as a new user of R) this approach to be too complicated and I had
problems gaining the correct output values. If there is a simpler way of doing
this, then please feel free to let me know.

Dylan - thanks, your approach is a good start. In answer to your questions, my
data are 43200 columns and 16800 rows as a data frame - I will probably have to
read the dataset in segments though, as it won't fit into the memory!  I've
been able to follow your example - how would I be able to apply this technique
for finding the average of each 60 x 60 block?

Any other suggestions are of course welcome!

Many thanks again,

Steve