I'd start with scatterplots of the two subsets (pass vs fail), but with 280k points, those are likely to be fairly uninformative masses of black ink). However, there might be enough separation between them that you don't need anything else.

If not, then a pair of hexbin plots (from the Bioconductor hexbin package), e.g.

plot(hexbin(rnorm(280000), rnorm(280000)))

may work. Other possibilities are to use partially transparent points, and possibly to use jittering if there are a lot of ties.

I would avoid 3D histograms; they aren't nearly as informative.

Duncan Murdoch