Why not use a script?

I feel that it is much better than using the history via [CTRL]-R in unix, which also pulls up errorneous commands.

A script is vital for statistical analysis and research where you may want to or be asked to repeat or reproduce the analysis months later.

Rgui (on windows) has a built in script editor. There are many external editors capable of working with R. My recommendation is to use emacs via ESS (emacs speaks statistics) which works in most, if not all, operating systems and has a Unix feel to it.

If you insist on wanting to use [CTRL]-R like features, then have a look at history() within R. You can also try installing cgywin or bash etc and see if that works from the DOS prompt.

Regards, Adai

mfrumin wrote:
Hi all,

I am generally quite fond of the unix commandline keystrokes (e.g. searching
back in your history with [CTRL]-R, and cutting/pasting with [CTRL]-K/Y)
which work in the R commandline in *nix.  Does anyone know if there's any
way to get similar functionality in the Windows RGUI?

I know that as of now, [CTRL]-A and -E do the same as unix (beginning and
end of line) and [CTRL]-Y does a paste, but [CTRL]-K crops from the cursor
to the end of the line but doesn't put the text into the clipboard.  the
most important thing I want is the [CTRL]-R functionality which is so poorly
approximated by pressing the up arrow a million times.

I've searched on the archives and didn't find anything about this.   Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike