Silvia Lomascolo wrote:

refdata =
read.table("K:\\MerchantData\\RiskModel\\refund_distribution.csv", header
= TRUE)
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings, : line 1 did not have 42 elements
refdata =
read.table("K:\\MerchantData\\RiskModel\\refund_distribution.csv")
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings, : line 2 did not have 42 elements
R interprets that you have 42 columns from the variable names. Do you? See
if removing spaces between column names helps (e.g., "week.1" instead of
"week 1").  Also, because yours is a csv file, fields are separated by
comas.  You can either use the "read.csv" command instead of the
"read.table" (see ?read.table for details), or add the argument sep="," to
tell R that fields are separated by comas.  You might also need to specify,
if you have empty cells, what to do with them (e.g., na.strings="")

You are of course right about the NA's (missing values, empty cells) as well as the possible blanks in the column names. It might nevertheless be a good idea for him to at least submit a few of the lines at the top of the file. A .csv file as generated by Excel on Windows is not necessarily comma-separated. That depends on the "list separator" setting under "Regional Language Settings" found in the Control Panel. On my machine, the list separator is a semicolon for a .csv file. The reason is simple, in Norway, the standard decimal separator is a comma, and you do not want to confuse the system too much. So, that particular point is dependent on the settisngs for his locale (language, country).

Tom