Dear R-experts,

I have found a splom-modification online which is given below. This works perfectly, but I would like to have a matrix of given correlation values to be used in the lower triangular part (lower.panel) of the splom-plot instead of calculated correlation values. Here is the matrix I would like to use (it can be any other convenient data structure):

mymat=matrix(0,nrow=3,ncol=3)
mymat[1,2]=0.2
mymat[1,3]=0.2
mymat[2,3]=0.5

If one can determine inside the lower.panel-function which columns of "data" are used for the current pairwise scatter plot, it should be easy to get the correct entries of "mymat", but how is this achieved? It would then be also possible to build a data structure of locations so that one can place the entries wherever convenient inside the gray rectangles.

Best regards.

Marius

#splom modification example
library(lattice)
data1=runif(100)
data2=data1+runif(100)
data3=data2+runif(100)
data=cbind(data1,data2,data3)
splom(~data[,1:3],upper.panel=panel.splom,
      lower.panel=function(x,y,...){

panel.fill(col=gray(500:1000/1000)[round(501-500*cor(x,y))])
          panel.text(mean(x),mean(y),round(cor(x,y),2))
      },
cex=0.2,aspect=1,pscales=0,varnames=c("Component 1","Component 2","Component 3"),xlab="",ylab="")