This seems odd.  When I try to look up a list element which has a space in
the name using just the first word (i.e. no spaces), it will sometimes
return the element with a space in the name and sometimes it will return
NULL.

Try this:

alist <- list( 'hello'=10, bye=20, 'hello world'=30, 'goodbye world'=40, 'hi
world'=50, 'goodbye foo'=60, 'goodbye bar'=70)
Then try fetching some list elements:
> alist[['goodbye']]
NULL
> alist[['hi']]
[1] 50
> alist[['hello']]
[1] 10
With "goodbye" there were a couple list elements with spaces in the name, so
it didn't return any of them.

With "hi" there was one (and only one) element which had "hi" as the first
word: "hi world"

With "hello" there was an actual element named "hello"

This seems messed up and non-intuitive to say the least.

I am doing this on R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23) compiled on a itanium64
and I also tried it on R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27) on an pentium 4 ubuntu
linux