Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. This seems to be working OK when
fitting weibull and lognormal distributions.  However, fitdistr now
requires me to include start values:

> ltwei<-function(x,shape,scale,log=FALSE){
+ dweibull(x,shape,scale,log)/pweibull(1,shape,scale,lower=FALSE)
+ }
> ltweifit<-fitdistr(x,ltwei) # x is observed data
Error in fitdistr(x, ltwei) : 'start' must be a named list
> ltweifit<-fitdistr(x,ltwei,start=list(shape=0.5,scale=0.5))
There were 34 warnings (use warnings() to see them)
> ltweifit
      shape         scale
   1.11108278   13.00703630
 ( 0.01936651) ( 0.42897340)

Is there anyway I can fit to truncated data without having to name start
values?  Alternatively, is there any recommended technique for choosing
sensible start values?

Further, when I try to fit an exponential distribution I get an error
message:

>ltexp<-function(x,rate,log=FALSE){
+ dexp(x,rate,log)/pexp(1,rate,lower=FALSE)
+ }
> ltexpfit<-fitdistr(x,ltexp)
Error in fitdistr(x, ltexp) : 'start' must be a named list
> ltexpfit<-fitdistr(x,ltexp,start=list(0.1))
Warning message:
In optim(x = c(2.541609, 1.436143, 4.600524, 6.437174, 2.84974,  :
  one-diml optimization by Nelder-Mead is unreliable: use optimize
> ltexpfit
Error in dn[[2]] : subscript out of bounds

This error message seems to occur regardless of the start value used.
Do you know why this is?

Sorry to pester you again, and apologies if I am asking silly questions
- my knowledge of R and probability distributions (except the normal!)
are rather limited!

Best wishes

Lauren