On 10/8/2008 12:42 PM, Michael Friendly wrote:
Thanks, John

What you say about mixing rgl.* and *3d calls may be true, but that is not my problem. After this occurred, I tried many things, but reduced it to the smallest, most basic example (in my original post), using only plot3d(), that worked perfectly in both the CRAN and R-Forge versions, until the first time I used rgl.snapshot()
with the development version.

Unfortunately, I'm now in a position where I can't test whether snapshot3d() does not provoke this, because the basic *3d calls no longer work properly on my desktop machine. I'm reduced to working on my laptop to
create images for an upcoming talk.

Sorry to take a while to respond on this. I don't see the behaviour you're describing. I see that rgl.snapshot fails when I use the R-forge build, but it doesn't affect anything else. (I can guess why rgl.snapshot fails, but it makes no sense that this would have the side effects you're seeing.)

A wild guess is that the OpenGL driver on your desktop system has problems, but those shouldn't persist over a system reboot.

Another guess is that you've got something in your workspace (e.g. an r3dDefaults variable) and it is causing trouble. But then you should see

Attaching package: 'rgl'

        The following object(s) are masked _by_ .GlobalEnv :

         r3dDefaults

and you would notice that.

I have put a good build of rgl 0.81.708 online, but I can't see how it would behave any better than the CRAN 0.81. If you feel like trying something that probably won't help, download and install http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/temp/rgl_0.81.708.zip

Duncan Murdoch

-Michael

John Fox wrote:
Dear Michael,

I haven't tried rgl.snapshot() in the development version of rgl, so I can't
comment on that, but I believe that these are two unrelated problems. I
think that the version of rgl on CRAN fails to display text when rgl.* and
*3d function calls are mixed, while this works in the development version.

I hope this helps,
 John