Since water quality is ordered, you could use cor.test with method of kendall
or spearman.  This will basically give a test of whether the rank based
correlation is significantly different from 0.  Often more interesting
information can come from the data if you do some more work.  Start by graphing
your data to see what is there and if anything stands out.  Then decide what
you really want to learn from the data to decide what other tests to do.  If
you want to predict nitrogen given water quality, then you can use lm or aov
(or other related methods), if you want to predict quality given nitrogen, then
possibilities include proportional odds logistic regression (polr in MASS, lrm
in Design) or recursive partitioning (rpart and other packages).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center