If you want to do efficient exploratory data analysis on this kind of
dataset, then interactive graphics with parallel coordinate plots
(ipcp in iplots) should help.  Of course, it depends what you mean by
large.  It might be worth looking at the book "Graphics of Large
Datasets" for some ideas.

Antony Unwin
Professor of Computer-Oriented Statistics and Data Analysis,
Mathematics Institute,
University of Augsburg,
86135 Augsburg, Germany
Tel: + 49 821 5982218