Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
leaps is not in Depends or Imports for car.  It is in Suggests
and those don't get automatically pulled in when dependencies = NA.

What you could do is to replace the builtin menuInstallPkgs with
your own by running this:

assignInNamespace("menuInstallPkgs", function (type = getOption("pkgType")) {
    install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE, type = type)
}, ns = "utils")

You will need to do that in every session that you want to use the install
menu or you could just add it to your Rprofile.site file which you
can find by running this:

file.path(R.home(), "etc", "Rprofile.site")

Okay, I must be missing something. Switched back up to v2.8.0 running on XP. Modified Rprofile.site as follows:

# Things you might want to change

# options(papersize="a4")
# options(editor="notepad")
# options(pager="internal")

# to prefer Compiled HTML help
  options(chmhelp=TRUE)

# to prefer HTML help
# options(htmlhelp=TRUE)

# .Library.site <- file.path(chartr("\\", "/", R.home()), "site-library")

# set a CRAN mirror
# local({r <- getOption("repos")
#       r["CRAN"] <- "http://my.local.cran";
#       options(repos=r)})

assignInNamespace("menuInstallPkgs", function (type = getOption("pkgType")) {
      install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE, type = type)
  }, ns = "utils")

Saved the file and then opened Rgui. The following error appears:

Error: could not find function "assignInNamespace"

I'm guessing that means the program doesn't recognize the edit, but the function did turn up when I ran ?assignInNamespace. I have no idea what went wrong. Anybody more knowledgeable in the inner workings here care to point me further on in the right direction, please?

--

Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

---