On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Brostram wrote
>> The survreg function cannot fit left-censored data (correct me if I am
>> wrong).
>
>  You are wrong.  Try reading the help file for survreg, or the references
> given there.

My apologies. However, AFAICS, there is no mentioning of this in the
relevant help pages. The only place I could find this described was in
the help page for 'Surv' (not refered to on the survfit page), section
Details, where I also found that survreg can fit interval censored
data! This is great news (to me), and I think you should describe the
capabilities of survreg in its own home page. It's too important
imformation to be hidden away.

That said, I tried to fit left censored data with survreg, but I
failed miserably. I tried

  > Surv(time = c(1, 2), event = c(1, 2), type = "left")
Error in Surv(time = c(1, 2), event = c(1, 2), type = "left") :
  element 1 is empty;
   the part of the args list of 'length' being evaluated was:
   (time2)

and variants thereof. Given no clue on the help page, I read the
source code of Surv, and found that

  > Surv(time = c(1, 2), time2 = c(1, 2), type = "left")

works! So, with left censored data, time2 is not a time, but a status indicator!

Thanks,

Göran

--
Göran Broström