one way is with ave(), e.g.,

dat <- data.frame(name = rep(c("Mary", "Sam", "John"), c(3,2,4)))
dat$freq <- ave(seq_along(dat$name), dat$name, FUN = seq_along)
dat

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

jie feng wrote:
Hi, there,

I have a simple data manipulation question for you. Thank you for your help!

 Suppose that I have this data about people appearing in a class

Mary
Mary
Mary
Sam
Sam
John
John
John
John

Then I want to find out what exact time(s) the student appears at the
moment such as

 Mary 1
Mary 2
Mary 3
Sam 1
Sam 2
John 1
John 2
John 3
John 4

the fifth row shows tha Sam show the second times at the that moment.

How can I manipulate the data in this way. Suppose that now I just have
"name" variable and want to add a colume of frequency?

Best

Jie

Dimitris Rizopoulos
Assistant Professor
Department of Biostatistics
Erasmus Medical Center

Address: PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Tel: +31/(0)10/7043478
Fax: +31/(0)10/7043014