On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Wacek Kusnierczyk <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> it's certainly hard to design and implement a system of the size of r.
> it's certainly easier to just complain rather than make a better tool.
> but it would really be a pitiful world if all of us were just
> developing, and no one would criticize.  my purpose is not (or not just,
> if you prefer) to annoy the r team, but to point out and document issues
> that really need rethinking.  discouragingly, many of these issues
> appear to be known already, but simply ignored.

On the other hand, while there may be ground to complain,  it may be easier
to make your own version of subset.data.frame and  advertise it to everyone:

Substitute the second `substitute` in subset.data.frame for nothing, i.e.,
replace
       vars <- eval(substitute(select), nl, parent.frame())
.. with
      vars <- eval(select, nl, parent.frame())
.. and it will behave as you want (if I understood you).

# suppose you have modified subset.data.frame this way
# and called it waceks.subset
 df1<-data.frame(group="G1", visit="V1", value=0.9)
group <- c("group", "visit")

> subset(df1, select=group)
  group
1    G1