Thanks. I did the search before I posted and found those threads.
However, it does not seem to do what I want. All I want to do is
estimate the sample size for a point estimate, not do a GLM. I just
want the mean within a margin of error, and to a given CI.

I've tried writing some code to do a simulation (below). Will this do
the job?

#Generate data from Poission distribution, with lambda = 5
data = rpois(200, lambda = 5)
mean(data); var(data)

#Parameter Estimates
moe = 0.03 # margin of error = +/- 3%
sample.size = 168 # number of hunters to sample

#Draw sample size from population, calc mean. Run 10,000 iterations
d = numeric(10000)
for (i in 1:10000) {
samp = (sample(data, sample.size, replace = FALSE))
d[i] = mean(samp)
}

#What are the bounds on the values that correspond to the margin of
error?
lower=mean(data)-moe
upper=mean(data)+moe

#values from 'd' based on 90% confidence intervals
q25=quantile(d, 0.05)
q95=quantile(d,0.95)

#top row = bounds on the mean from the margin of error, second row =
bounds based on simulated data and sample size, third row = 1 = true,
0 = false in terms of the sample size being adequate to meet
requirements of the margin of error.
output=rbind(cbind(lower,upper), cbind(q25,q95), cbind(q25>lower,
q95<upper))
row.names(output) = c("known", "estimated","True/False")
output