Hi All,

I am iterating through dated materials, with variable start and end dates,
and would like to skip procedures everytime I encounter a weekend or
holiday.  To do this, I thought the easiest way would be to create a
TRUE/FALSE vector corresponding to each day where it is TRUE if a workday,
and FALSE if a weekend or holiday.

So far I have been able to do this for weekdays:

startDate <- as.Date("2008-08-15")
endDate <- as.Date("2008-09-15")

AllDays <- seq(startDate, endDate, by="day")

WorkDays <- ifelse(as.numeric(format(startDate+days-1, "%w"))%%6==0, FALSE,
TRUE)

But I'm a bit lost as to what to do for the holidays, for example
"2008-09-01" is Labor Day in the above range.

Is there some procedure to say if an object is "in" a given list or set?

Mathematically, I would want to test:  day \in Holidays
where day is a given day, and Holidays is a set of all Holidays.

Is there a way to do this without iteration since my start/endDates are
variable?

Or maybe there's a very elegant solution that I don't know about as I am
still new to R.

Thanks for all your help!