Hi,

I created a class (S4) with some slots like value, date, description (it's actually a financial transaction class). Now I need a method to convert this class forth and back into a single row data.frame, where every slots represents a column. This method looks at the moment like this:

> setMethod("as.data.frame", "Transaction",
                function(x, row.names = NULL,  optional = FALSE, ...){
                                                slotnames <- slotNames(x)
                                                slotlist <-
data.frame(rbind(1:length(slotnames)))
                                                names(slotlist) <- slotnames
                                                for(i in slotnames) {
                                                        slotlist[1, i] <-
slot(x,  i)
                                                }
                                        return(slotlist)
                                        }
)

This method doesn't require predetermined slotnames or types, which is important to me. The method works quite good but the problem is that I have slots of type 'Date' and this method doesn't preserve the type but converts it to numeric.

A couple of tests showed that this is actually a problem of assigning values to data.frame column. Something like this:

> slotlist$DayOfTransaction <- slot(Transaction, DateOfTransaction)

would preserve the type of DateOfTransaction as 'Date'.

But I don't see a way to use this assigning scheme in my method without using the actual slotnames and giving up a lot of flexibility.

Do you have any suggestions? Is there maybe even a simple way to convert S4 slots into data.frames?

Thanks in advance
Ronny