Hesen Peng wrote:
My Dear R buddies,

I'm feeling ashamed that I've been running my R program on some
servers for a while but do not know exactly how R is working. The
servers are chained together using Sun Grid Engine. Each node has 8
quad-core CPUs. I wonder how many cores and CPUs are used by a simple
single-thread R program. Thanks a lot.

The quick answer to your question is easy: In principle 1 core.
Of course, you can make use of some parallelization framework. I'd suggest you start looking at snow and decide which underlying mechanism you are going to choose afterwards.

Best wishes;
uwe Ligges

Best wishes,