There have been several posts about optimizations where the parameters for the objective function are bounds-constrained. Brian Ripley took my 1990 "Compact numerical methods for computers" codes and p2c'd them to give the CG and BFGS and (possibly, I should check!) the Nelder Mead code. However, I have for use by myself and colleagues prepared variants of the codes that allow bounds constraints and also what I call "masks", that is, fixed values of some parameters. The latter feature is often useful when a parameter is usually fixed e.g., by legislation or pegging, like an exchange rate, but may later be allowed to float. The bounds are most helpful in forcing the user (us!) to think about scale. I've also noticed they really do avoid some of the wild excursions through parameter space and speed up convergence.

If anyone is interested in these possibilities, perhaps they could contact me off-list and we can decide if there is sufficient willingness to try to add the functionality in a graceful way. That is, we should encourage but not require masks and bounds, and should make sure that existing uses are not inconvenienced.

Cheers,

John Nash