On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Wacek Kusnierczyk <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> (* (/ 2.0 3.0) 3.0) is not exact either, as aren't (* (/ 2.0 2.0)
> 2.0)...
> > Actually, they *are* all exact in any system using IEEE floats.
> not per definitionem of exactness as of r6rs, as of my understanding.
> (exact? 2.0) is false there.

Perhaps you are trolling after all.  We're not discussing Scheme semantics
here, so the technical meaning of "exact" in Scheme is not in question.

The point is simply that in IEEE floating-point, (2.0/3.0)*3.0 is exactly
equal to 2.

            -s

PS You can easily explore the behavior of IEEE floating division using R:

divtest <- function(a,b)
{ with( pairs <- expand.grid(a=a,b=b),
    pairs[ (a/b)*b != a, ] ) }

divtest(1:30,1:30)