If they are IDs, you presumably don't need to perform arithmetic on them, so
why not store them as strings?  If you're reading them with read.table, see
the colClasses parameter.  I am not sure how to do this in RODBC;
as.isthere (as in read.table) does not affect columns that look like
numbers --
[perhaps you have to convert on the DBMS side?

           -s