Nidhi,

Presumably, you are trying to simulate 20 items all sharing one general factor but having some error.

The model as you specified it has no error. Thus all the correlations will be 1 and the factors will not make any sense.

Most items have loadings on a general factor of the order of about .4 to .6. You might try:

GenData <- congeneric.sim(N=500, loads = rep(.5,20), short = FALSE)
Then you will find that the factor scores found by factor.pa correlate at .93 with the latent variable.

 FactorScore=factor.pa(GenData$observed,1,scores = "TRUE", rotate="none")
 round(cor(FactorScore$scores,GenData$latent),2)

Bill