Hmm: what do you want to do that a customized panel function cannot do?

plot.lda does not accept type="n" precisely because it does support a panel function to plot within the axes it has set up. Your claim that 'they don?t let me personalize them' is simply untrue.

If you want to see the source code, just type 'MASS:::plot.lda'.

Futhermore, MASS is support software for a book, and the book does have examples of customized LDA plots!