Hi,

I think this is a very common question on this list. I've just created a page in the R wiki (inspired by https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-May/132466.html) . With some suggestions and improvements, hopefully we can make a good reference for others to refer to in the future:

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-misc:legendoutside

Hope this helps,

baptiste