See if one of %in% or match gets your further.

> 1:10 %in% c(1,3,5,9)
 [1]  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE  TRUE FALSE
> match(c(1,3,5,9), 1:10)
[1] 1 3 5 9
> match(c(1,3,5,9), 10:1)
[1] 10  8  6  2

date03 as offered was not a list, but a vector.

date04 <- date02[which(date02$date %in% date3), ] # might work, nothing to test it on

If you only want the column of matching dates and not all the rows that have matching dates then this might work:
date04 <- date02[which(date02$date %in% date3), "date" ]

From you incorrect use of the term "list" (in the context of R, anyway), I am guessing that you don't really want lists but rather subsets of data.frames. Vector and list are not interchangeable terms in these parts.

--
David Winsemius

On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:53 PM, glenn wrote:

Dear All;

Is it possible to create a list of lists (I am sure it is) along these
lines;

I have a dataframe data02 that holds a lot of information, and the first
column is “date”

I have a list of dates in;

data03<-c(date1,.....,daten)

And would like to create a list;

data04 <- subset(data02, date == data03[1,])

Ie. data04 holds the data from data02 that matches a date in data03

How do I create a list data04 that instead rolls through all the elements of
data03 and each element of data04 is a list

Regards

Glenn