? gsub

> gsub("\\(|\\)", "", var)

You can then read.table on a textConnection.

> read.table(textConnection(gsub("\\(|\\)", "", var) ))
  V1 V2
1 p1 10
2 p1  3
3 p1  4
4 p2 20
5 p2 30
6 p2 40
7 p3  4
8 p3  1
9 p1  2

On Jan 18, 2009, at 12:13 PM, oscar linares wrote:

Dear Rxperts,

I have a varaibles data file that looks like this

p(1) 10
p(1) 3
p(1) 4
p(2) 20
p(2) 30
p(2) 40
p(3) 4
p(3) 1
p(1) 2

I cannot process these data with R because it does not like the parentheses.
How can I get these to look like:

p1 10
p1 3
p1 4
p2 20
p2 30
p2 40
p3 4
p3 1
p3 2

The data is in a tab delimited text file and I want to get it into a
data.frame().

Many thanks in advance.

OAL
p1