Thanks.
I seem to have gotten a bit further, but still not completely successful.

BTW, I should have said that I am running R 2.8.1 GUI 1.27 Tiger build
32-bit (5301).

X11 starts fine from the icon.
library(tcltk) loads fine.

Now I get this when I load Rcmdr:

> library(Rcmdr)
Error in getClass(class(x)) : "lmer" is not a defined class
Error : .onAttach failed in 'attachNamespace'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rcmdr'

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry