On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Michael Bibo <
michael_b...@health.qld.gov.au> wrote:

> Mark Ungrin <mark.ungrin <at> utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > > * Installing *source* package 'RGtk2' ...
> > > checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> > > checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> > > checking for LIBGLADE... no
> > > configure: WARNING: libglade not found
> > > checking for INTROSPECTION... no
> > > checking for GTK... no
> > > configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
> > > ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RGtk2'
> > > ** Removing '/home/mark/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.6/RGtk2'
> > > * Installing *source* package 'rggobi' ...
> > > checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> > > checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> > > checking for GGOBI... configure: error: Package requirements (ggobi >=
> > > 2.1.6) were not met:
> > >
> > > Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> > > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
> > > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > > Package 'gtk+-2.0', required by 'libggobi', not found
> > >
> > > Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> > > installed software in a non-standard prefix.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GGOBI_CFLAGS
> > > and GGOBI_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> > > See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>

> Mark,
>
> The first thing I would look at is whether there are any "*-dev" packages
> in
> synaptic for the libraries etc that are 'missing'.  These -dev packages
> contain
> the header files and are not necessary for running the application, but are
> necessary for installing other apps from source that interact with them.
> This is a surprisingly little-advertised issue with Linux packaging that I
> found
> out about from the R installation manual.

Just to be a bit more specific, for building RGtk2 and rggobi you'll need
gtk-dev(el?) and libxml2-devel which should install all the other devel
dependencies. It's kind of strange that the GGobi package installs its
header files (it is implicitly a devel package), but it does not bring in
the devel packages of its dependencies.

But aren't there binary Ubuntu/Debian packages on the repository for RGtk2
and rggobi?