This is supposed to be an easy operation, but R 2.8.1 on Mac OS X gives me a
lot trouble. the t() function simply does not work properly.  What I mean is
it works sometimes but does not work at the most of the time, even with the
same matrix.

this is an example taken from R help

> a <- matrix(1:30, 5,6)
> t(a)
Error in t(a) : unused argument(s) (1:30)

It just gives this error.  If I restart my Mac (Yeah, have to restart the
OS), then there are chances t() works, but sometimes it still does not work.

Can anyone give me another way to compute the transpose in R?

thanks!