Thanks, Gabor
No, that wasn't it at all.  In print.anova, I found:

   if (length(i <- grep("Df$", cn)))
       zap.i <- zap.i[!(zap.i %in% i)]

so it only recognizes "Df", not "df" as a column name prefix to print as integers.
-Michael

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
Or safer:

df <- as.integer(round(...))

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Gabor Grothendieck