William Simpson wrote:
I have data in a format like this:

name    ssex    sex     view    num     rating  rt
ahl4    f       m       f       56      -108    2246
ahl4    f       m       f       74      85      1444
ahl4    f       m       f       52      151     1595
ahl4    f       m       f       85      1       1447
ahl4    f       m       f       53      46      1716
ahl4    f       m       f       37      145     1276
ahl4    f       m       f       50      98      1465
ahl4    f       m       f       51      -26     1322
ahl4    f       m       f       38      -97     1790
ahl4    f       m       f       14      -158    865
ahl4    f       m       p       43      -136    1669
ahl4    f       m       p       10      -59     808
ahl4    f       m       p       67      -111    1279
ahl4    f       m       p       85      -86     994
ahl4    f       m       p       100     134     1337
ahl4    f       m       p       76      56      665
ahl4    f       m       p       51      -49     594
ahl4    f       m       p       33      -118    505
ahl4    f       m       p       49      -156    1283
and so on for many subjects (name)

I would like to do a scatterplot of the rating given by each subject
(with identifier "name") for the frontal (view=="f") and profile
(view=="p") views of each face (each face has an identifier "num").
I'd like to find the correlation as well.
For each subject, since there are 100 faces, there will be 100 points
on the scatterplot. I would just lump all the subjects' data together
for the plot and correlation I think (unless somebody tells me I
should do each subject separately).

I'm stumped on how to do this. Thanks very much for any help!
Hi Bill,
The first thing that comes to mind is a variation on count.overplot, a function that displays the number of overplotted points for a given tolerance rather than a blur of separate symbols. The problem would be separating the various categories of experimental stimuli in your case. You could use, say, "F" and "P" as suffixes for the counts to indicate orientation, color to indicate sex of face, male/female symbol for sex of respondent, and so on. The problem is that you end up with a difficult to interpret plot, as each entry (of which there will still be many) must be decoded by the viewer. If you think this is worth pursuing, email me and I will try to outline a way to do it.

Another, perhaps simpler way is to define a summary score for each subject for each class of face and plot that.

Jim