> Hello list,
>
> I am sorry for the previous half post.  I accidentily hit send.  Thanks
> again in advance for any help.
>
> I have many (approx 20) files that I have merged.  Each data set contains
> rows for individuals and data in 2 - 5 columns (depending upon which data
> set).  The individuals in each data set are not necessarily the same and are
> all duplicated (different data in columns) across sheets I am trying to
> merge.  I have used the merge function

For example

> d1<-read.csv("AlleleReport.csv")
> d2<-read.csv("AlleleReport.csv")
>
> m1 <- merge(d1, d2,  by = c("IND", intersect(colnames(d1), colnames(d2))),
> all = TRUE)
> m2 <- merge(m1, d3,  by = c("IND", intersect(colnames(m1), colnames(d3))),
> all = TRUE)

My problem is that when the data is merged it looks something like

Ind   L1     L1.1    L2     L2.1    L3       L3.1
a     12      13      NA     NA      NA      NA
a      NA     NA     22     43       34       45
b      14      15    45       64       NA      NA
b       NA    NA    NA      NA     99      84

Is there a way that I can merge the rows for each individual?

Cheers

Grant