From: Alina Sheyman [mailto:alina...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:02 AM
To: Greg Snow
Cc: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] creating a map

Thanks Greg,
  do you know where i can find the sate.center dataset that you mention?
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Greg Snow
<greg.s...@imail.org<mailto:greg.s...@imail.org>> wrote:
You need to give the symbols function the locations where you want the centers
of the circles to be.  Some datesets with map information also have centers of
the states that you can use, for the USA, there is the state.center dataset
that may work for you, or the maptools package function get.Pcent will compute
a center for polygons (there are probably other similar functions in other
packages).

For adding circles to a map of the USA, you may want to look at the state.vbm
data in the TeachingDemos package (works with maptools package), but you will
need to computer the centers of the polygons, they don't match state.center or
others.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.