Thanks for pointing me to the quantreg package as a resource.  I was hoping
to ask be able to address one quick follow-up question...

I get slightly different variants between using the rq funciton with formula
= mydata ~ 1 as I would if I ran the same data using the quantile function.

Example:

mydata <- (1:10)^2/2
pctile <- seq(.59, .99, .1)

quantile(mydata, pctile)
59%    69%    79%    89%    99%
20.015 26.075 32.935 40.595 49.145

rq(mydata~1, tau=pctile)
Call:
rq(formula = mydata ~ 1, tau = pctile)
Coefficients:
            tau= 0.59 tau= 0.69 tau= 0.79 tau= 0.89 tau= 0.99
(Intercept)        18      24.5        32      40.5        50
Degrees of freedom: 10 total; 9 residual

Is it correct to assume this is due to the different accepted methods of
calculating quantiles?  If so, do you know where I would be able to see the
algorithms used in these functions?  I'm not finding it in the documentation
for function rq, and am new enough to R that I don't know where those
references would generally be.