I mostly agree with you, Rolf (and Gunter). I would challenge your joint use of the term "scientists". My quibble arises not regarding biomedical practitioners (who may be irredeemable as a group) but rather regarding physicists. At least in that domain, I believe those domain experts are at least as likely, and possibly more so, to understand issues relating to randomness as are statisticians. Randomness has been theoretically embedded in the domain for the last 90 years or so.

--
David Winsemius, MD